You'll assemble another Saturn V rocket, this time including the Lunar Module Descent and Lunar Module Ascent vehicles/modules. You'll dock with the assembled Lunar Module in HOM's orbit and fly to LUN where you'll detach the Lunar Module and land on the surface. You must land in a pre-marked zone.
To successfully land, you must match the rotational speed of the moon. After landing, you must take a picture, then leave the surface, redock with the Apollo Service Module, return to HOM, discard the LM Ascent vehicle while returning to HOM, and splash down.
This contributor recommends starting from orbit in the same direction as the moon (note: the moon rotates clockwise, so enter from the left side of the moon), descend your vehicle to a comfortable distance from the surface, reduce speed to just above the orange zone. As you're passing over the landing zone, wait until you're just about to leave it before you begin reducing your speed to match that of the moon, or you'll miss the zone.
|Gold||< $98,475,000||< 10m 40s||No|
|Silver||< $98,475,000||< 15m||Yes|
|Bronze||< $98,475,000||< 20m||Yes|
- Assemble the Saturn V rocket
- Launch the rocket, making sure the third stage reaches orbit
- Dock the Service and Crew Capsule to the LM
- Fly to the Moon
- Seperate the LM
- Land the LM in the landing zone on the Moon
- Take a photograph
- Separate the LM Ascent stage
- Dock the Service and Crew Capsule
- Leave the Moon's orbit
- Discard the LM
- Enter Orbit around HOM
- Re-enter and splash-down
- Budget: $98,475,000
- Max time: 20m
- This mission unlocks the Lunar Module Descent vehicle for use in the Sandbox.
- The real life NASA Apollo missions counterparts for this mission were Apollo missions 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 17. The crew of Apollo 13 never got to land on the Moon due to a crippling on-board explosion that scrubbed the landing portion of the mission.